Sunday, November 9, 2008

Time to Reload the Character Backup Drive; With Updates

The many failures of President George W. Bush, and career politicians in general, have resulted in nothing less than a system crash. Although, the last eight years should be taught for generations to come in public administration classes as an example of how not to govern, America needs to go to the backup disk. True, there are dark segments of US history, as with any country inhabited by human beings and not androids, but I still know an America to be proud of. Veteran's Day is coming up and I'm proud of the men and women who are out there doing their duty honorably. I really don't care if America goes to the backup, I'm already there. We need to go back to the phrase, "don't let the bastards grind you down."

Sure, it looks like some pension funds might collapse and the US is in for a rough ride, but most of our grandparents went through as bad or worse. Even if they didn't many of our recent immigrants have. If I could be half the person most of my Scots-Irish ancestors were, with the exception of a rogue and malevolent father, I'd be honored. It's not the genes as much as the behavior. I think we forget that we all make current decisions, regardless of our pasts. That's my Sunday morning message, load the backup drive, build on the good foundations that remain and get on with it.

No comments: